Domain vs Subdomain,Which is better for Blog SEO?
Starting a new blog; but Confused about Domain vs Subdomain for it ? But i should tell you now,Choosing between a subdomain or a Domain (TLD) is in fact EASY ? Guess what , we are here. And we did some research for you. This is what we found out that may help you to start your next profitable venture.
1.Cost and availability of a Domain vs Subdomain.
A domain can be bought from a domain registrar for a price. On the other hand you can create unlimited amount of sub domains for free if you own the Domain itself.
Most of the blogging platforms like WordPress , Blogger and Tumblr offer free sub Domains to start a blog.
So, for pricing its Domain that costs vs Subdomain is free.
For the availability its like subdomains for the Domain you own > Domain (TLD) > Subdomains for free platforms (like wordpress)
Should I use subdomain for blog?
While blogs on subdomains provide very little SEO value, some companies still choose to divide up their website this way. In this case, a subdomain may be a good option because it probably doesn’t matter if those pages are getting much value from link building efforts.
Should I use a Domain (TLD) subdomain (blog.domain.tld) or a Subfolder (domain.tld/blog)?
What Is A Subdomain (And Why You Should Use One)? Subdomains are a great way to separate areas of your site with very different functionalities. Subdomains enable you to set up multiple websites using a single domain
Which is better subdomain or subfolder?
Subfolders are the easier site structure to set up and understand as they are the same as setting up any other folder on a website. A subfolder is similar to a subdomain in that it allows you to create categories of content, but they are set up differently on servers.
Here are the pros and cons of domain vs subdomains vs subfolders as described by Dave from Smart Insight.
2. Subfolder Pros and Cons.
- Google will crawl new blog posts typically within days of launch.
- Blog inherits the authority of parent site so can rank immediately for terms within posts.
- Backlinks and social mentions generated by the content on the blog can help other content on the domain i.e. product pages rank more highly.
- Integrates better with the main site for better user experience (although often will have a different design).
- Easier to track with Google Analytics.
- Doesn’t have it’s own entity or Identity.
3. Subdomain Pros and Cons.
- Maybe technically easier for some setups.
- Has some of the benefits of the subfolder in inheriting parent domain authority and separate domain in providing backlinks to the main site, but…
- Needs to establish its own reputation through backlinks from other sites so…
- Will not rank as highly or as quickly as a subfolder.
4. Separate domain Pros and Cons.
- Helps you control and generate external backlinks for which you control the anchor text, i.e. editorial links within blog copy back to category and product pages.
- Can create a more differentiated brand identity that can be seen as independent from the main site so it generates more engagement with its audience potentially.
- You may not rank competitively at all for weeks or months depending on the quality of the content you create. This may be hard to sell to your colleagues investing in it – it’s an act of faith…
- Will require a long-term commitment to content creation, SEO and backlink development for a good Domain authority.
So what’s Conclusion on Domain vs Subdomain ?
So, you see it clearly , if you have a Domain with good authority , Subfolders are a great way to go.
If you want to do the work of building out separate entity profiles and link value for multiple subdomains, go right ahead. Google really doesn’t care whether they rank subdomains or subfolders.
But if you’re maxed out on time fully optimizing one domain, let alone multiple domains, then subfolders are probably a better option for you.
Is WWW considered a subdomain?
Technically, it’s a subdomain traditionally used to indicate that a site is part of the web, as opposed to some other part of the Internet like Gopher or FTP.There is nothing special about the “www” subdomain other than tradition. Any string of letters can be used in a subdomain.
Can subdomains rank in Google?
To make Google index your subdomains faster, make sure you are interlinking your main domain and subdomains. But don’t expect the domain to help subdomains to rank higher. The SEO for them are separate projects and would need to start from scratch
Do subdomains get indexed by Google?
Google will index subdomains if you link to them from your main domain, but if your site is new, it will take time for Google to index everything.
Are subdomains free?
Yes,The subdomains at your TLD are free. You have to create subdomains from your hosting or registrar account. Any hosting provider does cost extra money for Sub domains. You can creates subdomains of your own.
Is a subdomain good for SEO?
To make it simple, a subdomain is a part of the main website. But, it’s considered a separate entity by the search engines. Subdomains can be used for organizational purposes, or even for an SEO boost. Sometimes you don’t want certain pages of your site indexed with the rest of them.
How Does Google Treat Subdomains For SEO?
Time and time again, Google has shown that they treat subdomains very differently from root domains, in some cases treating them as completely different sites.A subdomain is a string of characters that precedes the root domain and uses a period to separate them
- Free Domain Name Giveaway – .club, .shop, .art, .site, .tech - July 12, 2020
- Blooming ! Weekly Photo Challenge - July 11, 2020
- How to Serve scaled images in WordPress ? - June 5, 2020