Top 5 Ways to Start a Blog for Free !
So, you have finally decided to start your blog, but as a beginner , you just don’t want to commit too much and rather try it out without wasting a dime first. Worry not , I am here to tell you How to “Start a Blog for Free”.
To Start a Blog for Free, you need 3 things –
- A Free Web Hosting Platform
- A free Domain or Sub Domain name.
- A Blogging Software / Content Management System (CMS).
Some service providers give you all the three requirements under the same roof.They are easy to use because as a beginner you don’t have to waste your time. They are easy but not always the best and economical. Their features are limited with several restrictions.
You also have the option to get all three requirements at the best providers and the then put them all together to Start a Blog for Free.
There are many service providers out there through which you can Start a Blog for Free, but I will let you know about Top 5 most trusted services that you can start using right now and never have to worry about loosing it or asking for money.
(1) Blogger.com Start a Blog for Free
Blogger is a free blogging service by Google. Started in 1999 by Pyra Labs, it was acquired by Google in 2003, and they redesigned it as the product it is today.
Blogger is a free blog hosting service which lets you create a blog completely free of cost. You also get a free Blogspot subdomain for your new blog. For example, your blog’s address will look like this yourname.blogspot.com.
So, you get a reputed and secure provider with Unlimited Storage space (for your files,photos, videos etc) and all 3 services for free. What more you can ask for ?
In fact I made my first blog on blogger way back in 2007 based on game reviews for for my new Nokia N-Gage QD Game Deck / Mobile Phone. It was easy to integrate adsense with it (made almost $300 at that time)
Blogger is a simple blogging platform where you can create a blog in just a few minutes. You simply need a Google account to get started.
Go to Blogger website and then sign up with your Google account. After that, you can find a ‘Create New Blog’ option, where you need to click to start the process. Next, choose your blog title, blog address, and a theme.
That’s all, and the setup will be done. Next, you can configure blog settings, edit your blog layout, and add posts.
On the wide spectrum of website building solutions, Blogger lives on the end that is all-inclusive and provides everything you need to get started and grow your website. It’s in contrast to solutions where you buy, install, and manage all the “pieces” of your website separately.
Advantages /Pros. of Blogger :
- Doesn’t require coding skills to build a basic blog.
- No need to purchase hosting space. Hosted for free on Google premium servers (almost 100% up time).
- Easy AdSense integration & approval.
- Automatically publishes new content in google plus. (now Google Plus is Closed , Why?)
- Can make your own custom template design or Find Several Free ones.(Best places to find free blogger templates)
- Can point your blogspot blog address to custom domain address for free. (Top 10 Cheapest Domain names to buy , or get a Domain name for free here)
- Can be easily linked to Google Analytic’s and Webmaster tools.
- Easily add files / media from Google Photos , Google Drive that sync through multiple devices including your mobile phones
- Lesser number of plugins/widgets.
- Bad permalink structure of post pages with year & month.
- ‘Blog archive’ and ‘label’ pages are not SEO friendly.
- Only few blog roles compared to WordPress.
- Chances are there for blog to get deleted if violates blogger content policy
- Its mobile app is a DISASTER !!! Seriously google , Do something !!!
I you can live with these few cons , blogger is the best you can get for free !
Setting up a blog in WordPress is a simple and quick process. It requires no coding skills, but it does require you to know how to point-and-click on a computer screen to setup WordPress and install WordPress apps.
You can follow our step by step beginner’s guide on how to start a WordPress blog and you’ll be up and running in less than half an hour.
Once the setup is done, you can choose a WordPress blog theme and plugins as per your requirement. A theme mostly determines the appearance of your blog in WordPress.
The benefits of WordPress include things such as:
- Free for beginners – You get Free hoating (with 3GB space) and a free subdomain yourname.wordpress.com
- Its simplicity – WordPress is a simple system to operate.
- You get many cool looking SEO optimal themes for your blog.
- Admin and blog publishing panel is easy to use
- WordPress has its own Social community of Bloggers.Posts you write is immediately spread across millions of users via tag rss feeds. They can read and react to it if they find it interesting.This is one of the biggest strengths of WordPress.com.
- Price – Free for beginners. Pay as you upgrade.
- You get to use the best blogging software in the world.
- Possibility of growth is unlimited , you just need to have money 🙂
- It’s mobile app is great.
Here are some important disadvantages
- Free space is limited and runs out quickly if you upload too much media files.
- You can’t add custom domains without paying (even if you already own the domain)
- Numbers of free themes and plugins is limited to basic only.
- WordPress shows ads on your blogs.
- You cant add adsense or monetize your Blog.
WordPress.com is a good place to start IF you want an easy audience base and ready to upgrade when you need to do so.
(3) Self Hosted WordPress on a free web hosting provider.
This method is a bit difficult but so much better if you can learn it. It’s not that difficult either. Getting yout WordPress hosted on a free hosting provider can be a refreshing first step.
Not all Free hosting providers are reliable. They come with a bang and big offers , but disappear without a trace (or even a notice). But then , there are some who have stood the test of time and you can trust them. What they provide may be sufficient for beginners.
Freehosting.com allows you to host 1 blog with 10Gb Space and Unlimited bandwidth.This is better than the most of trusted free hosting providers. Sign up here.
Awardspace have been providing free hosting for over 10 years now and they are reputed. Although space (1Gb) is low , but descent enough for starters. Signup here.
If you want to get started with your free blog, Wix is well worth a look. This drag-and-drop website builder offers over 500 designer-made templates as well as plenty of additional features and apps, along with top-grade hosting so you can rest assured your site will be there when you need it.
You get 500MB storage and 1GB bandwidth with a free Wix account. If you need more – plus other features like your own domain, and online store and Google Analytics – then take a look at its premium plans.
To some extent, Tumblr feels a bit like a halfway house between WordPress and Twitter. It offers more scope than the latter, but tends to favour rather more succinct output than the former. Decent mobile apps make it easy to submit content to a Tumblr blog from anywhere, though, and it’s reasonably easy to customise your theme to make it your own.
Tumblr also has a strong social undercurrent, via a following model combined with notes and favourites. Tumblr has also recently announced a controversial ban on adult content, which means that the porn bots that used to be lumbering around on the site should no longer be a problem.
It’s mobile app (android and iOS) is awesome, and you can even add your own domain for free. There is NO storage and bandwidth limit.
Like WordPress.com , it too has a great social community.
- Free Domain Name Giveaway – .club, .shop, .art, .site, .tech - July 12, 2020
- Blooming ! Weekly Photo Challenge - July 11, 2020
- How to Serve scaled images in WordPress ? - June 5, 2020