How to Serve scaled images in WordPress ?
You have a blog post with beautiful images , but they are so large in size that it takes ages to load them in a browser. And by the time they come up , the audience is already gone. So it is important to scale down your image size to a point where it it loads quick enough without giving up on quality.Thus we are here to explain How to Serve scaled images in WordPress ?
In this post, we’re going to focus on how to serve scaled images with WordPress. You’ll learn how to properly size images in WordPress in several different ways and how to improve your image optimization .
In a WordPress blog post, the normal process of resizing is done by the browser which increases the overall loading time of blog.
Let’s say you decide to use a 450 x 450 pixels image for a 45 x 45 thumbnail. As a result, the browser has to download and scale the picture down before displaying it to the visitors. This process is inefficient and can slow down your website loading time.
This fact can be checked by using any website performance checking tool such as Gtmetrix.
Serve scaled images in WordPress.
Step 1 – Enter your page URL in this tool to check which images need scaling and how much will it affect your website speed.As you can clearly see , I can save 97%-99% on each image in my blog post. It all adds up to make a huge difference on the overall score of that page.
However, this issue won’t happen if you serve scaled images. Smaller images use less space and speed up your site, which in return will improve your site’s SEO and ranking.If your score is as low as mine , you need to use a tool for scaling down the images in your blog post.
Image Scaling tools for WordPress.
WordPress media library -Serve scaled images in WordPress itself does a superb job of scaling down the image size that are too large.Let’s say you upload an image of 5mb to media library , the image will be resized in different formats according to your settings and size my come down to 500~600 mb.If you are not satisfied with these results use the following specialized-
Plugins for scaling down images in WordPress.Serve scaled images in WordPress
(1) Smush Free Version – With 1+ Million active installation and 5 star rating , this is the most used and tested plugin for image optimization.Compress and optimize images with lazy load, WebP conversion, and resize detection to boost performance and make your site load amazingly fast.
Its important feature include –
- Smush will compress all your images without a visible drop in quality.Lossless Compression – Strip unused data without affecting image quality.
- Bulk Smush – Free version can Optimize up to 50 images with one click
- Without Monthly Limits – Optimize all of your images up to 5MB in size free forever (no daily, monthly, or annual caps)
(2) EWWW Image Optimizer – While EWWW I.O. will automatically optimize new images that you upload, it can also optimize all the images that you have already uploaded, and optionally convert your images to the best file format. You can choose pixel perfect compression or high compression options that are visually lossless.
- No Speed Limits and unlimited file size.
- Smooth Handling with pixel-perfect optimization using industry-leading tools and progressive rendering.
- High Torque as we bring you the best compression/quality ratio available with our lossy options for JPG, PNG, and PDF files.
- Adaptive Steering with intelligent conversion options to get the right image format for the job (JPG, PNG, or GIF).